Ysgol Friars Child Protection Procedures
At Ysgol Friars our safeguarding procedures are based on four simple, but vital steps:
There are 5 types of abuse – emotional, physical, sexual, neglect and financial, these are all explained in more detail in the Wales Safeguarding Procedures (2019) here.
Staff at Ysgol Friars follow the procedures below when presented with a pupil who makes a disclosure:
If a child comes to see you:
• Listen, stay calm, reassure;
• Show the child that you take their allegations seriously;
• Explain what actions you must take – referral to the Designated Safeguarding Person (DSP) – You cannot keep what you have been told confidential or secret;
• Encourage the child to talk but do not prompt or ask leading questions;
• Write down as soon as possible what you have been told using exact words where possible;
• Do not confront the alleged abuser / perpetrator;
• Do not worry that you may be mistaken or over-reacting, you will always be taken seriously.
• Report your concerns to the DSP within 24 hours at the latest.
What to do next:
• Email a statement or hand write a statement on the ‘Logging a concern’ form (found in reception or on the guidance drive) to the DSP or Deputy DSP that includes the following:
• the full name, date of birth and form details of the child;
• the nature of the incident / concerns;
• how and why those concerns have arisen;
• any information affecting the safety of the pupil, other pupils or staff.
In school, pupils can see any member of staff to discuss worries or concerns, however the two members of staff responsible for Child Protection at Ysgol Friars are:
Designated Safeguarding Person
Deputy Safeguarding Person
IF YOU HAVE URGENT CONCERNS ABOUT A CHILD OR FOR ADVICE OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL HOURS, SPEAK TO YOUR LOCAL AUTHORITY:
Gwynedd: 01766 772 577
Anglesey: 01248 725 888
Conwy: 01492 575 111
For further details, please see our Child Protection Policy below: